How to Throw an Epic Picnic Party
Shake up the day-to-day routine in your household and plan the most epic outdoor dining experience at the comforts of your home.
Tired of being cooped up at home? Do you miss eating out in your favorite restaurants with your family and friends? What better way of sharing meals with your family than having a picnic with them?
After months of being stuck at home, spending quality time outdoors is the perfect solution to our lockdown problems. But with so much uncertainty across many parts of the country because of the global pandemic, staying at home often feels like the easier and safer option. That doesn’t mean things need to be boring, though. We could still find ways to make our summer, in the safety of our homes, fun.
Scout for a Good Location
The most important thing to remember when choosing a location is to choose a safe space. If you opt to picnic in your backyard, make sure to find a dry, flat surface to put your picnic blankets on.
Tip: If the ground is damp, a tarp underneath will protect your picnic set-up.
It doesn’t matter whether you choose to have a picnic in your neighborhood park, backyard, or living room. As long as there is room to sit, relax, and move around, you can picnic anywhere you want. Just be mindful of your surroundings and make sure to check the weather prior to your trip if you are planning to have a traditional picnic in a nearby park.
If you have children, choose a location that is clear of foot traffic and has a safe distance away from any roads.
You also have to take note that if you’re planning to go to the park, make sure to practice social distancing and follow the safety protocols.
- Start by gathering some picnic blankets with matching pillows while you could bring out a picnic table with an umbrella or use any of your outdoor furniture in your backyard. If you’re feeling fancy, you can build a makeshift fort with tapestries.
- You can also pull out a foldable mat with a removable cover, or a washable bedspread laid out on the ground for additional comfort.
- Don’t forget the music! A small portable speaker will do the job as it can easily be plugged into your phone. This will help give your simple picnic the chill vibes or the lively atmosphere that you want.
- Tip: If you’re with an elderly, you can set up a rocking chair for them.
Food: Healthy Snacks & Refreshments
- Fill your picnic basket with healthy snacks, finger food – sandwiches, crackers, cut-up fruits that are currently in season and make sure to bring a cooler filled with ice for your refreshments such as fruit juice in packets, bottles of soda, and lots of water.
- Tip: Search for picnic food ideas on Pinterest, Youtube, and in your favorite lifestyle blogs.
- If you choose to picnic in your backyard, you have more options when it comes to your food. You can cook anything with an airfryer while you can have burgers, hotdogs, and barbecues with a BBQ griller or a cast iron grill.
Leisure & Entertainment
- Bring your favorite board games, playing cards, or any kind of entertainment you and your family can enjoy after eating the food you prepared for them.
- You can also get a kite for everyone and help each other to make them fly.
- Take it to the next level and set up a movie night with a projector, portable screen (or a widescreen TV), and let the popcorn and soda keep on coming.
- Tip: If your backyard is wide enough (or you choose to go to a park), your family can also play freeze tag, hide and seek, and make the kids play a Scavenger Hunt!
- Make sure to clean up after the festivities and do not leave your wastes behind. Assign people from your family to be the clean-up crew.
- Tip: Use reusable containers to reduce your wastes after.
Health and Safety
- If you’re going to the park, pack foods that you and your family can avoid touching with bare hands. Use containers with lids or mason jars so you could pack individual food containers for each of your family members.
- Protect yourself and your family by bringing the necessary tools for their safety. Do not forget to bring facemasks, face shields, hand-sanitizers, alcohol, wipes, sunscreen, and bug repellant sprays.
- Err on the side of caution and pack disposable gloves for handing out food and drinks. You can also use them if you feel like your hands are not fully clean.
Host A Themed Picnic Party
Use your imagination and shake things up even more with a themed picnic party. You can play dress-up or wear costumes for your safari-themed picnic or make bento boxes and imagine you’re all in Japan. Let your creative juices flow and incorporate your chosen themes with the snacks you prepare, the games you pack, and the decorations you set up.
It’s easy to have a picnic-themed party whenever you like. With a little creativity, you can provide a delightful and memorable setting in which you can enjoy spending quality time with your family.
Connect with Your Family
Picnicking can also be an avenue for your family to enable communication and open a new safe space for much-needed reflection and conversations.
While relaxing and lounging on picnic blankets, everyone may be ready and willing to talk about life and other pressing issues. Between snacks and refreshments, parents and children can share their thoughts and feelings and talk about current events, issues, and observations in their daily lives.
Now that you’ve learned a few tips and tricks on hosting an epic backyard picnic, you can now get started on making this small party come to life. Just make sure to plan ahead and shop from allhome.com.ph to ramp up the fun for your backyard picnic adventures!
Like this article? Sign up for our newsletter to get more articles like these delivered straight to your inbox.